Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Busy Week

Open Window 24" x 18" 
 


Life as an artist is never boring, but I have periods of quiet time and deep reflection where it seems like all inspiration has fled and I know I need to recharge, and periods of frantic activity to get to a deadline.  This was my frantic week last week.






A Well Worn Path 24" x 30"
Tuscan Morning 24" x 24"





 I was finishing a collection of paintings for a show at the Blue Horse Gallery in Bellingham.  This included putting finishing details on 6 of the 15 pieces, sealing the backs of the panels, signing, varnishing, photograph, cataloging, framing and wrapping the frames, putting the pieces on the website, hand building and refinishing some of the frames...teaching three classes and a workshop, and leading a critique session.....at the end of the week I found myself finishing a workshop in Winslow, and dashing to get to the ferry...to drive through Seattle rush hour traffic north to Bellingham for the show opening.  I was on the road for 3 hours.  I'm not complaining, though,  I love this pace.  It really is wonderful and satisfying.

 I usually feel weirdly out of place at show openings, but that dissipates as I take a deep breath, temporarily banish  my gigantic self doubts and go introduce myself. People are usually so kind and gracious...that helps when I have put little pieces of my heart on the wall.

Today I am facing a house and studio that look like chaos...I always seem to leave a wake of rubble in my path when there is a looming deadline.  So today I am cleaning up my house and shovelling out my studio in preparation for the next wave of crazy activity.

2 comments:

  1. I love your painting "The Well Worn Path." It is one of my favorites! (:

    ReplyDelete